Data Center Move Planning Timeline: Looking at Early Prep Work
Moving your company’s data center from one facility to another can be an anxiety-provoking, frustrating process. However, taking plenty of time to get organized and prepare for the move makes the process less stressful. Moving a data center correctly takes at least six months, and it is common for it to take a year or longer to complete.
The key take away for a successful, smooth data center move is organization and preparedness. According to InformationWeek, data center relocation requires a lot of homework: 75% of your time should be spent on researching and planning the move while the other 25% accounts for actually moving the data center. PC World recommends using a pickup and ship data center move for lower-risk applications. It’s best to focus on the applications in use and minimizing impact to those applications during the moving process.
6 Months Before: The Early Prep Work
Identify equipment that is moving and equipment that is being left behind. Inventory everything. This is a great opportunity to identify comatose or unused hardware during the inspection phase. According to Forbes, around 30% of data center servers are unused, so identifying those servers before the move can be a big money saver.
According to PCWorld, delays in network circuit work can easily derail a data center relocation. Therefore, it’s best to identify and order all required network circuits half a year before the move. Network circuits can take four to five months to be installed and ready. Your company does not want to be in a situation where you have to use a lesser, but easier to install solution in a pinch.
3 Months Before: More Inventory and Planning
As your business approaches the 90 day deadline, it’s time to determine power and rack requirements for the new facility. CIO argues poor planning and underestimating power requirements are the two largest pitfalls businesses fall into when moving data centers, so it’s important to be deliberate at this step. Also, confirm network circuits are on schedule at this time.
2 Months Prior: Troubleshooting
Now it’s time to really dig into installation and removal issues. Examine any problems you may have removing hardware from your current location and installing it in the new location. Look at things like rack limitations and height restrictions. Also, plan to bundle and move connected elements together. Again, poor planning at this time will make the move much more frustrating.
6 Weeks to Go: Checking-in
At this point it’s time to identify and document any cables not being replaced in the move, then place an order for any new network and power cables. Also, ensure the transfer trucks are ordered and ready for the big day. PC World recommends having experienced drivers running the trucks as a crash or rough ride can destroy the hardware.
There’s much more to the relocation process to keep in mind, especially as the clock winds down. Check out Team Silverback’s “Timeline for Planning a Data Center Move” infographic for more information on making your move a smoother process.
Comments are closed